The Ontario Election is drawing closer, Thursday June 12, 2014. Many dog owners are wondering what they can do to help bring our province closer to ending the discriminatory amendments to DOLA (Dog Owners Liability Act).
-Make sure you attend any all candidates meetings in your riding. Ask the candidates the following question;
In 2005 the Liberals made amendments to the Dog Owners Liability Act and banned 3 rare breeds of dogs and any dog substantially similar. If elected are you willing to vote in favour of repealing these discriminatory amendments to DOLA and restoring fair and equal treatment for all dog owners regardless of the appearance of their dog?
-Send out a questionnaire to the candidates in your riding. For your convenience we have put together a questionnaire which you may simply copy and paste into the body of an email.
1. If the amended Dog Owners' Liability Act (2005) came up today for a free rather than a whipped vote as happened in 2005, would you vote in favour of banning breeds as an effective way to protect people from dog bites? Please explain.
2. Please explain why you think the 'pit bull' ban enacted by the Ontario Liberal government has or has not been successful in protecting the public from dog bites.
3. Would you be willing, if elected, to work to rescind the breed-specific regulations in Ontario's amended Dog Owners' Liability Act (2005) and replace them with an existing, easily implemented Canadian system that has been effective in the control of negligent pet owners, that is supported by all responsible pet owners and that once established is fully funded by dog and cat owners rather than through general revenue taxation? Please briefly explain your response.
4. Is there anything you'd like to add?
- Offer to help the candidate most likely to beat the Liberal in your riding. To give you an idea of projections here is a link to a list of projections for each riding in Ontario. Offering even a little bit of time is helpful.
- Educate your friends and relatives and neighbours about the issues. Talk about politics. Engage people and remind them of the Liberal record. Encourage everyone you know to vote and offer to drive them. There is actually a book written about the McGuinty/Wynne record!
- Remember a vote for a fringe group is a vote for the Liberals in such a close race! The fringe parties can offer the moon since they don't have a snowball's chance to take power but (so can the 3 main parties). There is nothing holding any party accountable to follow through with an campaign promise but they must be at least a little bit believable in order to garner enough support to win.
- Call your constituency office to arrange for a lawn sign from your favourite anti BSL candidate or incumbent.
- Toronto is the battle ground! Offer your help to non Liberal MPP's or candidates in Toronto even if you don't live there.
There is a great resource website called We Make Voting Easy. For answers to all the common questions about voting, use this handy resource and pass it around.
Do your part and together we can make a difference!
And of course do not forget to VOTE!