Tuesday, January 6, 2009

Thoughts and thought control

Happy 2009...


I spent my holidays hunkered down. 2008 was a year that seemed to deal out blow after blow. It felt great to have some days with very little contact with the outside world. I spent several days doing what I wanted, when I wanted. That sort of lifestyle could seriously get addictive.
I had a discussion with a friend the other day about animal welfare vs. animal rights. I wondered aloud how different we really are. I guesstimated likely 80 to 90% of people who support and follow AR or liberationists groups either have no idea what that means or that these groups have liberation as their main goal. I think the vast majority of followers and supports only see the warm and fuzzy side of things. 


Let's face it, who wants to see animals suffer? Well, the small percentage of the population that are sociopath's and/or animal abusers; I guess.. I don't even think some who inflict suffering and pain actually know they are doing a disservice to the animal. People who use improper harsh corrections, tether animals for long and frequent periods without enough stimulation and basic needs met. Those are just a couple examples. I guess I am imposing my view of what is decent and correct in that statement as well; however I believe common sense goes a long way. Most of us have at least a good grasp on common sense, but there is a portion of the pop that haven't a clue and they are the ones who stand out in a crowd. 


While having this discussion and talking about my views on treatment of animals raised for food and hunting etc... my friend reminded me:


But the ultimate AR goal is liberation


Wikipedia Liberation definition:


Animal rights, also known as animal liberation, is the idea that the most basic interests of animals should be afforded the same consideration as the similar interests of human beings. Animal rights advocates approach the issue from different philosophical positions, but they agree that animals should no longer be regarded as property, or used as food, clothing, research subjects, or entertainment, but should instead be viewed as legal persons and members of the moral community.
AR groups such as Peta go the extra mile to imply animals are better off dead. 


Some quotes by Ingrid herself:


There is no hidden agenda. If anybody wonders about -- what’s this with all these reforms -- you can hear us clearly. Our goal is total animal liberation. [emphasis added]
— “Animal Rights 2002” convention, Jun 2002
I openly hope that it [hoof-and-mouth disease] comes here. It will bring economic harm only for those who profit from giving people heart attacks and giving animals a concentration camp-like existence. It would be good for animals, good for human health and good for the environment.
ABC News interview, Apr 2001


In the end, I think it would be lovely if we stopped this whole notion of pets altogether.
Newsday, Feb 1988



I asked the question, but don't you think the general masses would never allow an end to pet ownership? Don't you think people will catch on before it is too late?

Anyone remember the second world war? Rwanda? Armenia? These examples are recent. If people can brainwash or manipulate humans into mass killing of entire races or demographics of people by the millions, what is stopping humans from killing animals by the millions? Aren't humans animals? Ok, now this is where I draw the line.

I want all animals treated with respect and dignity. I don't mind paying more for my food to allow for proper treatment of animals. What is proper? Healthy and safe environment. Healthy as in; clean, dry, well ventilated and no forcible feeding. Proper, appropriate and healthful nutrition. Does it not make sense that if what we raise for food is treated with a healthy environment; we will be healthier for it? It is called the food chain. Do we need meat? No, not really. Many people survive and flourish on vegan or vegetarian diets. Is it something I choose? No. I believe it should be a choice. I won't judge you if you don't judge me. The world balances itself if we let it, however this is where man's meddling comes in. When the world tilts and needs a V-8, you can bet there is a human behind the reason. 


Here is my vision.


I would love to see an across the board, enforceable, common sense set of standards set for at least North America. Ok, Canada for now. Let's worry about home first.

If we can lead by example, hopefully others will notice. We have certainly paid attention to many European countries that have woken up to the smell of Nescafe. I would like to see a participation of as many different sectors as possible put together what is reasonable and enforceable. There are examples in effect that are proven winners. Let's use the model and get it in place across the country. Let's revamp the farming industry similarly to what was done for animal control in Calgary. Simply, concisely and use common sense. Let's join together as consumers, owners, breeders, animal lovers and those who can't be bothered. Let's negotiate what we can live with and what makes sense. Let's move ahead of the radicals and sociopaths and leave them to thrash around in their own bed of nails. Let's prevent another tragedy stemming from complacency and denial.

Let's catch this one before it's too late. Before it becomes something in a history book...

History class 2050. Pet ownership; a thing of the past. Remember when our parents and grandparents used to own dogs, cats, and other animals as pets? Imagine, a dog, cat or any other smallish animal living in your house, sleeping in your bed. Relying on a human for food, shelter and water... wow. What a foreign experience.

Sorry everyone, I can't imagine not having a dog/s in my bed.











No comments:

Post a Comment